Walden believes that families, students, and school staff should work in partnership to help each student reach his/her potential. As partners we agree to the following:
Student Responsibilities—I want to learn, therefore I will:
- Attend school regularly and on time.
- Complete assignments, homework and reading assignments on time and to the best of my ability.
- See possibilities and make meaningful choices.
- Be willing to engage in authentic research and project work.
- Through my own actions and choices, help create a school environment of tolerance and peace.
- Explore my own creativity and individuality.
- Strive to become a self-motivated learner who makes positive contributions to the school and society.
- Refrain from the abuse of any harmful or illegal substance, on or off campus, and submit to testing if abuse is suspected. I understand abuse is cause for expulsion. I will adhere to all behavioral, attendance and academic policies.
Parent Responsibilities—I want my child to learn and achieve, therefore I will:
- Make certain my child attends school regularly and on time.
- Provide support for my child as they engage in authentic research and project work.
- Maintain an open dialogue with my child’s teacher(s) and Walden staff and work together to provide the best possible education for my child.
- Support the school by volunteering my time in the classroom, as a fieldtrip driver and through involvement with the PCC (Parent Community Council) as my schedule permits
- Attend parent meetings and parent education nights and when necessary ask for further explanation of school curriculum, policies and programs.
- Support school curriculum by providing a home environment where children can learn and develop their creativity and individuality.
- Work as a partner with the school. When I see room for improvement, provide feedback and support in a positive and encouraging manner.
Teacher Responsibilities: I want my students to learn and achieve, therefore I will:
- Treat each student with respect and dignity.
- Support and mentor each individual child so that he/she can progress academically at a rate that is most beneficial for him/her.
- Provide a classroom environment where students are allowed to make meaningful choices.
- Strive to create a school and classroom environment where peace and tolerance are paramount.
- Provide students with opportunities for authentic research and project work.
- Communicate with parents about their child’s academic, social, and emotional progress on a regular basis.
- Provide academic rigor.
- Give parents the opportunity to volunteer in a meaningful way.
- Encourage students to explore their creativity and foster their own individuality.
We make a commitment to work together to carry out this agreement.
Signed on this________________day of _________________, 20___
If you are a middle school or high school student, this portion will be signed by your mentor—the teacher who is responsible for helping you to track your academic progress. You will be assigned a mentor at the beginning of the year and he/she will go over this form with you and sign at that time.
Please turn the form in with your signature and your parent or guardian signatures now.